Monday 15 August 2016

Trondheim – an intimate big city in the middle of Norway

I think it is about time that I introduce Trondheim, the city I am from. I am Norwegian and I have obviously lived in Norway for many years, and I have come to find that this small city actually is not so bad. Even though London has become my second home and I love to wander around all corners of the world, the small city of Trondheim will always have a special place in my heart.



Trondheim is Norway´s third biggest city, and even though this is a big city for us, it is not a big city compared to other cities around the world. Norway is a small but long country with many mountains and fjords, northern lights and snow and it really has a great charm worth exploring. Trondheim is one of the major student cities of Norway and every year (around this time, actually) Trondheim is invaded by 30 000 new students ready to live in the city. Ironically, I ended up leaving Trondheim and Norway when I attended University, but I have many friends who has studied in Trondheim for several years and loved it.

This is a city of students and because of that it has also become a city of culture, food, markets, Christmas fair, cycling, festivals, concerts and beautiful old buildings.

Fun fact; from 1030 to 1217, Trondheim was Norway´s capital and back then it was called Nidaros. Trondheim has a beautiful cathedral called the Nidaros Cathedral, which is located in the intimate city centre. It is built over the burial site of Saint Olav, who was king of Norway in the 11th century. In my opinion, this really is one of the most beautiful cathedrals in Norway. The Princess of Norway got married in this Cathedral, so it is still used by the royalties.






The cathedral is close to the Old Town Bridge and Bakklandet, which is Old Town Trondheim. Here you will find beautiful old wooden houses and there are several cute little cafes in this area as well.




If you want a great view of the city centre, then you have to walk up to Kristiansten Fortress. This fortress has been there since the 17th Century and you can see all of Trondheim from this hilltop.







Another fun fact: Trondheim has a bicycle lift, which is called the Trampe Bicycle Lift. This is actually the first and only bicycle lift in the world, and during the summer this is quite the tourist attraction. It is very easy to find as well. The city centre is very small and once you cross the Old Town Bridge over to Bakklandet (old town Trondheim) you´ll see it right away.
 


If you ever do visit Norway, I would absolutely recommend that you see the country and not just Oslo, the capital. This country has so much to offer and many historical cities and great mountains. Trondheim is just one such city, but of course my favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment