Sunday 11 September 2016

The wonders of South Africa

I was in South Africa a few months ago and I was amazed at how spectacular this country is! It really has everything; a rich history, great food, nice people, amazing beaches and a lot to see and explore. You have wine tasting, safari, hiking tours, bus tours, walking tour, all kinds of things to do! I spent three weeks in SA and I promise you – it was not enough!



People were very sceptical when I told everyone that I was going to SA. I have heard that it can be dangerous with gangs and all, but it is still a huge tourist destination. And honestly, I´ve always wanted to go. A friend of mine and I talked about it for over a year and when it was close to the departure date, we started talking about all the people who were sceptical. Were we naïve? But we have both travelled a bit over the years and we decided that this would not be a problem. And it really wasn´t!

South Africa is far away from Norway, we basically had to fly over two continents to reach our final destination. I am used to having jet lag when I travel for about 25 hours, but during the summer there is no time difference from SA and Norway. Which was really nice!



When we finally arrived in Cape Town, we had been told to find a taxi company, a real one. Apparently there are illegal taxicabs around there and we wanted to be sure that we did not end up being robbed the minute after we arrived. And it was not a problem. Just be sure to agree on the price before getting in the cab – we always did that and did not encounter any problems. And the taxi drivers were always polite as well.




Because we experienced so much, I will write quite a bit about South Africa from now on. This will include Cape Town, hiking up Table Mountain and Lion´s Head, Robben Island, driving the Garden Route, Addo Elephant National Park, white shark cage diving, lion´s park, Cradle of Human Kind, safari in the Kruger Park and so much more. Because this country has a lot to offer! I do hope this will inspire some of you to open your eyes to the wonders in South Africa – I absolutely loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment